MICROSOFT JOINS WINMEC
I am pleased to inform you that Microsoft has joined WINMEC as a member with John SanGiovanni, Technical Evangelist from Microsoft serving on the WINMEC advisory board. In addition, Mobio Networks a Silicon-valley based tech startup has joined WINMEC with their CEO, Ramneek Bhasin participating on our advisory board. Welcome to both.
RESEARCH HIGHLIGHTS - MOBILE MULTIMEDIA CONTENT DELIVERY
- Mobile multimedia content delivery continues to be an important topic on both the research front as well as the needs of the entertainment media industry. Content is now being created in ever-increasing digital formats and its delivery over constrained bandwidths to thin personal and mobile devices with small and variously sized screen continues to be technically challenging and expensive. Digital rights management for allowing legally purchased consumption of content that is simple to use continues to be evasive. Video poses a yet greater challenge in terms of memory, bandwidth, energy, etc. Finally, business models that work for all parties from entertainment/media content producers/owners/distributors to network providers/service providers to consumers are still not converging. The mix of these problems generates a variety of research problems that our group continues to work on, write papers, file patents, give lectures, etc. In the last quarter, the following papers were published by WINMEC students and researchers:
- Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Based Multi-Level Graphics Representation for Engineering Rich-Content Exchange in Mobile Collaboration Computing Environments, JCISE, June, 2006
- Enable Engineering Document in Mobile Computing Environment, IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, 26-29 June 2006, Buffalo, NY, USA
- WINMEC also participated in a Panel Discussion at Digital Hollywood Forum, March, 2006, http://www.digitalhollywood.com/LASpring06Agenda.html
RESEARCH HIGHLIGHTS - RFID
- The field of RFID continues to provide a fertile ground for innovation, research and challenges since it is changing very rapidly. The following RFID developments at WINMEC are noteworthy :
- An intellectual property disclosure on the use of RFID in closed loop asset management has been filed with the UCLA patent office.
- A patent filed on our Reconfigurable wireless interface for networking of sensors was published
- A new undergraduate RFID Introductory course was taught in which students worked on the following course-long projects:
- RFID Based Asset Monitoring System for Automobile Recycling
- Global Logistic and RFID technology
- Tag performance test
- Temp data collection, monitoring and alerting engine
- RFID in Hospital
- Mobile Asset Management System
- RFID 每 Security and Privacy Issues
- RFID 每 Benefits, Limitation, and Applications
- Combating Avian Flu Using RFID
- The luncheon keynote was given by Dr. Gadh at the Retail Systems Conference, Third Annual RFID Technology Symposium, Chicago, on May 21, 2006.
- Printronix and Symbol donated RFID hardware for use in our labs.
- Information week covers WINMEC via article 每 ※RFID Applications on Display at UCLA,§
RESEARCH HIGHLIGHT 每 WIRELESS AND RFID IN HEALTHCARE
We have launched a research program on the use of Wireless and RFID devices for tracking and automation of various functions in healthcare and medicine. Electronic Health Records as maintained by this new genre of hardware are being researched in the context of various healthcare departments in hospitals such as surgery, clinical trials, pediatrics, cardiology, geriatrics and, urgent care. The objective of this research is to improve quality of healthcare, reduce cost and increase patient throughput by way of new and advanced wireless technologies.
ADVISORY BOARD NEWS
We welcome the CIO of LAPD, Tim Riley as the newest member of our CIO Advisory Board and Neil McGinness, Vice President of Entertainment at IMG Media on our Entertainment Media advisory board.
UPCOMING 2006 - RFID EXECUTIVE FORUM, Oct 10, 2006 http://winmec.ucla.edu/rfidforum 每 The Fourth UCLA-WINMEC RFID Industry Forum, is expected to bring together hardware vendors, software companies, systems integrators, application companies and consulting companies with the end customer 每 the enterprise 每 in jointly discussing how to use automatic identification technology to streamline their enterprise. On the technology side, the forum will address RFID hardware/software, RFID infrastructure creation, RFID infrastructure management, routing data from the RFID infrastructure to ERP, SCM, and, MRP systems, making intelligent use of the data, and, extracting key analytics from the data. On the applications side, the forum will showcase the latest RFID applications that have gone into production. On the business side, discussion will revolve around cost-benefit analysis and ROI studies. Verticals represented will include Retail/Supply Chain, Aerospace/Defense, Automotive, Medical/Healthcare, Pharmaceuticals, Homeland Security, Port Security, Metro/Municipal Security, Manufacturing, etc.
UPCOMING 2006 - WIRELESS IN HEALTHCARE MINI-FORUM, Oct 10, 2006
WINMEC is launching a Wireless in Healthcare special mini-forum along-side the RFID forum). Topics discussed will include using wireless/RFID with I.T. for healthcare quality improvement, cost reduction, and faster response to patient care.
UPCOMING 2006 每 RFID HANDS-ON WORKSHOP, Oct 9, 2006, http://winmec.ucla.edu/handson
The workshop provides the attendees an opportunity to learn about the potential of RFID in industrial application scenarios. Attendees get to experience a variety of RFID technologies and use the WinRFID (http://winmec.ucla.edu/winrfid) middleware in conjunction with the existing RFID hardware in UCLA.
HELD RECENTLY - 2006 MOBILE ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA CONVERGENCE+ Forum http://winmec.ucla.edu/entertainment
The forum was successfully concluded on May 9 th with discussions centered on mobile content (movies, TV, music, gaming), business models, technology and networks. Some of this forum＊s new participants this year included Jean-Charles Hourcade - CTO of Thomson Inc., Fred Kitson - VP and Sr Director, Motorola Labs, Alexander Pigeon 每 VP of Major League Baseball Advanced Media, Jay Samit - EVP of Sony Corporation of America, Bill Sanders - VP of Sony Pictures Television International, Rob Schonfeld - VP of Buena Vista Pay, Joe Solimando - CIO and Sr VP of Disney Consumer Products, and several others. WINMEC members speaking included Anil Kripalani 每 Sr VP of Qualcomm, John Dubrawski of Satyam, Ted Casey 每 Head of Music, Verizon Wireless, and others.
HELD RECENTLY - THE 2006 MOBILE ENTERPRISE FORUM on CONVERGENCE+ http://winmec.ucla.edu/enterprise
The Convergence+ enterprise forum discussed how enterprises are melding the wireless infrastructure with the enterprise business infrastructure to achieve the next generation of Convergence+. Speakers were from Lucent (Ray Gilbert), Nortel (Phil Edholm), Lockheed Martin (Minh Li), Northrop Grumman (Dean Knuth), HP (Salil Pradhan) and other leading organizations. Next forum scheduled for May 2, 2007.
UPCOMING 2007 每 CIO IMPACTS FORUM, Feb 21 每 SEAMLESS AND MOBILE ENTERPRISE COVERAGE IN A HETEROGENEOUS NETWORKED WORLD
Executives, managers and operational personnel in enterprises are finding that due to combination of increased security requirements and increasing number of devices which they must use (desktop, laptop, PDA, cell phone) depending on where they are, what they are doing, the context of their activity, and, whom they are interacting with, mobile coverage today is far from seamless. With all the hype in convergence, the increased complexity of networks and devices in the last several years continues to defy seamlessness. This forum will bring together CIOs and CTOs from diverse industry segments such as Entertainment Media, Telecom, Healthcare, Finance/Insurance, Technology, Aerospace/Defense, Homeland Security and Municipal/Government Wireless, to share how each one of them is achieving ※Seamless Mobility§. URL for previous forum http://cio-conference.ucla.edu/.
UPCOMING 2007 - MOBILE ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA FORUM, May 2, THEME 每 ※THE DRIVER FOR MOBILE CONSUMER ENTERTAINMENT 每 MEDIA CONTENT, DEVICE OR NETWORK?§
The battle for becoming the key provider of entertainment for the mobile consumer is far from over, and we will debate whether content is king, or whether networks own the customer, or if customers will go for the coolest devices 每 all pointing to the singular issue as to who or what is the key driver for consumer＊s personalized entertainment.
- WINMEC director invited to give keynote address at International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications, MESA06, August, 2006, Lecture entitled ※Wireless Internet of Artifacts§, Beijing, China
- WINMEC was invited to participate in Semantic sensor net workshop 2006